The Greater Seattle Soccer League traces its heritage back to the 1880s, when Irish immigrants working the coal mines in Black Diamond formed the first organized league in the Seattle area.
In the 1920s, the league had adopted the name Seattle Soccer League. A trophy, now used for the league's annual George Washington Tournament, was a gift to the league by George Parsons in 1927.
During World War II, prisoners from Europe played the local ethnic community teams: the Seattle Hungarians, the Danes, and others ...
As soccer enjoyed a rise in popularity as a result of the 1966 World Cup in England, the United States' participation rose as well in the 1960s and early '70s, the league as it is now constituted was formally incorporated as a non-profit social organization in 1976. Initially referred to as the Washington State Soccer League, the name was changed to the Greater Seattle Soccer League in 1985.
Today, many players and officials from that particular era remain playing in senior divisions of the league.
We're adding to this page in the coming weeks to months ... check back later for more!